Saturday, May 10, 2008

Being a mother

So...I've been pondering this thought over the past few weeks...

When do you STOP worrying...or not worry about your baby/child all the time?

It starts the MINUTE you get pregnant. Every time I go to the bathroom I expect to see blood. Or I can't WAIT to make it to the 2nd trimester because the risk of miscarriage goes down. Now I can't WAIT for the doctor's visits to hear the heartbeat. What if the baby doesn't move as often as it did? Is it ok? Once I make it to about 28 weeks I feel safe that I can deliver a baby that will live...but will its lungs be ok? What if it has some development problems?

THEN...you get the baby home. Is the circumsision ok? How many wet diapers are they supposed to have? Is he eating enough? He's making jerking movements...is this ok? OMG...hesleeps with its eyes open! EEK! He's slept for 4 hours...why? Is that too long? (but please sleep longer...if you're ok)

Then food starts...will he choke or aspirate? Can he chew that puff that dissolves in his mouth? What is too big of a piece of food? Is he allergic?

Now...will he fall? What if he pulls a coffee machine on his head (again?) What are those bug bites? Are they brown recluse spider bites? How will I know?

Today's worry is...He has taken a 3 hour nap with no sign of waking up. Do I check on him & risk waking him up (I AM enjoying this 3 hour break)? What if he put his blankie on his head? Can he breathe? (then the spider bite worry again)

SIGH...then try doing the in-utero worry at the same time as the spider bite worry...NICE BIG WORRIED MOTHER AT ALL TIMES!

Totally worth it though! ;)

1 comment:

26 said...

A great post I'd like to see is all the "totally worth it" things about being a mommy. : )