Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mary

At Christmastime, as a mother, I feel a sort of comraderie with Mary...Jesus' mother. I was listening to a Christmas songs, "New Kid in Town" and "Angels Cried"...they talk about the simplicity of Christmas and basically that the people weren't sure or didn't REALLY know that this little baby was the savior...But Mary did...

As a mother, I look at my tiny baby girl & my big boy and I think that Mary raised Jesus in these stages. I'm sure she spent countless nights awake with a screaming baby (as I did last night!), or had to discipline him as he made messes or was a little toot (like my big boy can be). And most importantly, she absolutely loved him more than life. She watched Joseph be an amazing father to her son. She watched him grow and felt the time slipping through her hands. She knew he had a big purpose...but he was still her little boy.

Its such a neat feeling to think of all of this at Christmas time.

Justin was asking me questions the other day about Catholics. He found himself in a position to defend Catholics. One thing many people think is that we "worship" Mary. This isn't true. She IS blessed! I was reading the Gospel of Luke's Christmas story...it's so beautiful. The angel Gabriel says, "Hail favored one, The Lord is with you!" When Elizabeth hears Mary's greeting, later, John jumps in her womb. Elizabeth says, "Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb". Which is part of our prayer, "Hail Mary".

Hail Mary full of grace
The lord is with you
Blessed art thou among women
Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the time of our death

We aren't seeing her as a god or "worshipping" her. We are asking her to pray for us. This woman who God favored and entrusted the birth of His son to. This "blessed" woman.

Anyway...I'm rambling...but I love to talk about Mary...and as a woman and mother, I feel connected!

No comments: