Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ruidoso 2010

SORRY! (suzanne especially!) I have been soooo busy! Stop rolling your eyes at me...those of you who think I do nothing all day but watch soap operas! I got asked a few months ago if I would give 2 teacher workshops in Vernon. Of course I said yes...and it took me a while to get back in THAT mindset...needless to say...from the moment we got back from Ruidoso until NOW...that has been all I think about or work on in my free time. I also taught a teacher workshop to sunday school teachers (that was awesome). During this time I started keeping my friend Alana's 2 little girls since she is going back to work teaching. While they are ANGELS and suuuuuuch a blessing to my kids lives...having 4 in the house most of the day is a lot of work (props to you Amy!!!). Soooo....please accept my apology for not blogging and know that it's not just because I'm lazy!

RUIDOSO:

Remember how I posted about how we go to the Mescalero Indian Reservation every year? WELLLLLLLLLL...2 years ago Ruidoso COMPLETELY flooded (watch video)



(we were supposed to go camp THE DAY after this...imagine if we'd been there...when the video said, "mescalero"...that's the rez...we would have been wiped out!!) It never has been repaired. Of course we never figured this out until we pulled up to the gate with our trailer and pickups and the gate was locked. URGH. We drove around for about 2 hours and finally found a decent campground. It turned out to be GREAT...not as shaded and secluded as the rez...but was quiet and peaceful and had GREAT river access. The kids LOVED it! Digging and building train tracks...what more could they ask for?


They WERE having a bear problem...the first 2 nights...no problems. THEN on the FINAL night I woke up to a SNORT (if you've been around bears....you KNOW a bear snort)...and it was right in my ear (due to both kids finding their way into my sleeping bag...my face was literally poking out of the tent...not OUT of it but you know). I screamed and Justin got mad at me (why? I'm not sure??? Denial?) ANYWAY...within 20 minutes we heard a NEW sound...I figured a baby bear got lost and the momma bear was searching for it...Daddy and Justin drove all around the empty campsites (we were the only ones there) spotlighting for it...found nothing. They figured it was a dying deer....who knows...all i DO know is that it was still making that sad/painful noise when we left the next day!


Overall a fun trip...but MAN were we ready to be home! 3 nights with no baths is a LOT...but the kids loved it!! Looking forward to the next time! Cole talks about it ALL the time! "I want to go camping tomorrow" is what I hear a lot! Here are a few pics!











1 comment:

danielle s said...

uAnd who took that beautiful family picture infront of the tent in which EVERYONE is looking at the camera AND smiling??? that's right, your wonderful sister. :)