Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Janet and the bills

Justin has handed over the finances to me this summer. I have not paid the bills or been in charge of our money since before we moved in together (umm....June 2002...so 6 years). He always grumbles about paying the bills...so I offered.

WOW!

It's scary and...the money does NOT go very far. I now find myself buying cheaper/store brand items a lot more...and just doing without certain things. I like to see AT LEAST $500/week in our checking account. If it ever falls below that...I FREAK & start hyperventalating.

Where does our money go?
1. FOOD!!!!!! (mainly Justin's snacks...when you're a giant...you must snack) ONe day, there were THREE $1.29 purchases from United. I asked him what it was...WATER. I told him to buy a .69cent gallon and refill a water bottle. URGHHHH...AND he has to eat out every day. Ok...I like my sonic Cherry Sprites...but STILL. Oh well. We are both doing MUCH better.

I now know his frustrations. I'm glad I have this opportunity. Makes me a much better spender!

2 comments:

The Gann Clan said...

I am telling you - Food sucks us dry too! And - I am there with you on the "giant must eat" comment! haha I bet Casey spends $1.79 trips to 7-11 like 4 times a day!

26 said...

Packed lunches helps a lot and we even stopped buying trash bags and use the grocery bags instead.